[Mojolicious] Mojo and Angular
Duncan Ferguson
2018-07-28 10:59:55 UTC

I am considering diving into writing my own webapp but I am still trying to
work out how I might want to do it - this is more of a project so I can
learn new technologies rather than for any other reason.

I have used Mojo before for a few small projects and I am currently
wondering if I can use Mojo as the backend and Angular as the frontend in
my new one, but before I go this route I am looking to see how many other
people have done this previously (rather than using node.js, which I have
never looked at before). I'd prefer to try and not take on too much to
learn in one go, hence using Mojo, which at least I have a vague idea about
:)

I have seen there are a couple of Angular modules on metacpan, but they all
appear to be 3+ years ago - are they still useful if I do end up going this
route?

Thanks

Duncs
Sebastian Riedel
2018-07-28 11:09:41 UTC
I have used Mojo before for a few small projects and I am currently wondering if I can use Mojo as the backend and Angular as the frontend in my new one, but before I go this route I am looking to see how many other people have done this previously (rather than using node.js, which I have never looked at before). I'd prefer to try and not take on too much to learn in one go, hence using Mojo, which at least I have a vague idea about :)
Mojolicious is perfectly fine to use with any client-side JavaScript framework.
I have seen there are a couple of Angular modules on metacpan, but they all appear to be 3+ years ago - are they still useful if I do end up going this route?
I don't know why you'd want to use modules for that. Use
Mojolicious::Plugin::AssetPack to compile/optimize your assets if
that's a requirement, but everything else is just plain old REST APIs.
--
sebastian
Илья Рассадин
2018-07-28 15:08:17 UTC
Hi!

If you want to implement REST backend, see on these modules

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojolicious::Plugin::OpenAPI

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojolicious::Plugin::GraphQL
Hi,
Duncan Ferguson
2018-07-29 15:21:07 UTC
Thanks for the links - I had found the OpenAPI one and I did want to go
that route - I was aware of the GraphQL one but I think I have only just
understood why it might be useful; some of the docs sites are not very
helpful in explaining the reasons behind using it

Duncs
Tekki
2018-07-29 06:58:14 UTC
but before I go this route I am looking to see how many other people have
done this previously
I've done this since a long time. Mojolicious for the API, the application
logic, for creating PDFs and e-mails, and all the client side JS code in
static files delivered with $c->reply->static. Now moving from Angular to
Vue.js.
In fact, I use the Mojolicious template system too to create the static JS
files.

Tekki
Luc Larochelle
2018-09-05 13:38:46 UTC
Hi Duncan,

I just finished my first AngularJS web app with Mojolicious as the backend.
The result is impressive, slick and highly responsive. I had looked into
the openAPI plugin before, but wouldn't really understand what it is and
how to use it before doing my dev. In fact, I implemented json schema
validation in another project (purely backend interaction) and I think it
has to be the way to go (openAPI).

Lesson learned, though : I've been rendering the app with the get ' / '
route, I think I might look into an alternative to serve the front end in a
completely different environment than the backend. But still very happy
with the result.

Hope this helps.

Luc
Hi,