[Mojolicious] Call for posts: Advent Calendar 2018!
Joel Berger
2018-11-03 20:54:16 UTC
Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned at Mojoconf, I am hoping to run the advent calendar again
this year, but I cannot do nearly as much work on it as last year, both for
sanity and personal reasons. Therefore I'm looking to you to help me out
with contributions. I've already gotten submissions from two authors, more
ideas from another few of you. Well now's the time! If you want in, and if
you want to be sure the calendar happens and is a success, start getting
those posts to me. I don't have a firm deadline, but I need probably 10 or
so in to me before the end of the month in order to go ahead, and probably
at least 10 more by publishing date, whenever that is. I'll commit to 5.

As to topics, I think we have promises covered, indeed I'm going to send
out an email to those of you who want to do articles on promises so that we
can coordinate. I myself am taking the Async/Await pattern and hopefully
library announcement.

Other topics can include anything from your library, your favorite library,
your favorite pattern, something you use Mojo for, or whatever else you
want to write about. Remember, even if what you do with Perl/Mojo/The Web
seems ordinary, it isn't ordinary to everyone else. We all do different
things and what seems mundane to you every day will be fascinating to
others.

I'll be taking submissions in markdown format. Please use 4 space
indentation for code blocks as the markdown renderer hasn't caught up with
github flavor code fences.

Please include a short but engaging title and at least a few paragraphs of
text.

Every article should come either with an image or an idea for an image, for
the top banner and other marketing (think twitter). If that image is
included, I need to have a link to the source, which must be appropriately
licensed. Searching on wikimedia is a great way to start or else searching
on google images with the license filter on. See last year's calendar for
how that looks.

If you didn't contribute last year, please include your full name (or how
you'd like to be credited), with a sentence or two about yourself, and a
gravatar url or image (if desired).

You may submit as PRs to the github repo
(https://github.com/jberger/mojolicious.io) or emailed to me. Don't worry
about getting the dates or metadata right, we'll figure that all out. And
please contact me if you have any trouble or questions.

Cheers,

Joel Berger

P.S. If authors submit articles but we don't get enough, they will still
get published, it just may not be structured as a calendar. Don't worry,
contributions will not be wasted either way.

P.P.S. ... but calendars are more fun, submit something and help us get
there!
Joel Berger
2018-11-03 21:05:00 UTC
Oh, and I didn't mention but should have: introductory and how-to articles
are more than welcome too! Newcomers are always joining in and having
material that complements the official documentation in learning a portion
of Mojolicious or a topic in web programming generally is always helpful.
kimoto

Joel Berger
2018-11-16 15:29:13 UTC
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. We'd be happy to have you participate. As
directed in the original article, please submit in markdown (though since
html is valid markdown, that's **probably** fine too). The site is rendered
using Statocles.
john napiorkowski
2018-11-16 13:47:30 UTC
It might be a bit long for an Advent article but I was thinking to cleanup
/ complete https://github.com/jjn1056/MojoCoin which is a Mojolicious port
of a similar project written in Catalyst
(https://github.com/jjn1056/Blockchain) and intended as a blockchain /
cryptotoken learning example. I figured now I know a bit more I can
'mojo-fy' it a bit more (use native Validation objects and as many
Mojolicous built-ins as possible). If we think its too long we could split
it over two articles (one for the intro and client code / wallet and the
second for the server code /miner code.
Joel Berger
2018-11-16 15:27:29 UTC
Sounds good. I'm not a cryptocurrency guy so I can really assess the
content, but a post or two on the topic is certainly welcome. If you want
to keep it to one post, simply link out to the full project and highlight
the most important bits. That said, I think its probably appropriate to
separate client and server code.