Some basic questions + future
Martin R
2015-01-04 23:05:07 UTC
Hello, I would like to ask about few basic aspects related to mojolicious
applications:

1.) Skimming through the documentation I noticed that you highly encourage
to first start with "Lite" app than move to full app which itself involve
moving from morbi to hypnotoad for serious app. My question is how much
work costs this move to full app from lite app ? Isn't it better to start
with full app ?
2.) Mojolicious has its own built in server called "hypnotoad" how
different is this server in comparison with nginx ? What are the advantages
and disadvantages ?
3.) Does mojolicious has its own utilities to work with MySQL DB ? I didn't
find this in doc.
4.)I've heard that perl 6 production ready implementation is coming, how it
is going to influence mojolicious ?

Thanks ;)
Roland Lammel
2015-01-05 09:05:31 UTC
Post by Martin R
Hello, I would like to ask about few basic aspects related to mojolicious
1.) Skimming through the documentation I noticed that you highly encourage
to first start with "Lite" app than move to full app which itself involve
moving from morbi to hypnotoad for serious app. My question is how much
work costs this move to full app from lite app ? Isn't it better to start
with full app ?
This mostly depends on the application you are developing. If you have
experience with Mojolicious *and* know the application is going to be a big
one with a lots of controllers doing a full app makes sense.
Converting is pretty easy, it's more or less just rewriting of syntax and
placing into modules. To get known to Mojolicious I would recommend doing
theLite app, just as the docs say.
Post by Martin R
2.) Mojolicious has its own built in server called "hypnotoad" how
different is this server in comparison with nginx ? What are the advantages
and disadvantages ?
You cannot compare apples and oranges. Nginx is a generic web and reverse
proxy server being used on millions of servers. Hypnotoad is a production
ready web application server. Many people use hypnotoad behing a reverse
proxy server (I always do and am using nginx as reverse proxy).
Post by Martin R
3.) Does mojolicious has its own utilities to work with MySQL DB ? I
didn't find this in doc.
If it's not in the docs it's not there. Use DBI or any ORM on top of it, if
you need async support you can use Mojo::mysql
Post by Martin R
4.)I've heard that perl 6 production ready implementation is coming, how
it is going to influence mojolicious ?
Really, I heard it's going to come out on Christmas.Mojolicious will be
ported to Perl6 at some point, that has not been decided yet. MoarVM and
the JVM port of Perl6 look very promising though.
Post by Martin R
Thanks ;)
Martin R
2015-01-05 11:39:00 UTC
Thanks for reply.

You cannot compare apples and oranges

It it really a good analogy ? Both hypnotoad and nginx are HTTP and
WebSocket servers I can use either one to work with mojolicious so I would
like to know pros and cons. What 'hypnotoad' can offer that nginx can't and
viceversa ? Which one has better performace ? Where can I read/study more
about those things, I am really curious but a little bit lost...

Thanks.
sri
2015-01-05 18:37:45 UTC
Both hypnotoad and nginx are HTTP and WebSocket servers I can use either
one to work with mojolicious...
Hypnotoad is an application server and Nginx a general purpose web
server/reverse proxy. They are meant to be used together.

http://mojolicio.us/perldoc/Mojolicious/Guides/Cookbook#Nginx

--
sebastian
Martin R
2015-01-05 22:18:34 UTC
Thanks for answer. I am thinking about moving my existing website which
mainly rely on fast-cgi to mojolicious & hypnotoad with nginx as reverse
proxy. Would you encourage use of mojolicious web framework for
file-sharing type of website ? I've already seen that it has Mojo::Upload
tool for upload related stuff but it's not a big deal just very basic
functions. Nothing related to download side at all. So is mojolicious
suitable for this kind of apps ?

Thanks.
John Scoles
2015-01-05 23:46:25 UTC
Yes it would be fine.

As I use it for a similar conversion some time ago.

Word of wisdom on this do not try to re-use the old CGI code

Far faster to write new code with Mojo::upload.

Cheers

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:18:34 -0800
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Mojolicious] Re: Some basic questions + future

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious.

John Scoles
2015-01-05 12:10:44 UTC
Here iz my 2p for what it is worth

Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 15:05:07 -0800
From: ***@gmail.com
To: ***@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Mojolicious] Some basic questions + future

Hello, I would like to ask about few basic aspects related to mojolicious applications:

1.) Skimming through the documentation I noticed that you highly encourage to first start with "Lite" app than move to full app which itself involve moving from morbi to hypnotoad for serious app. My question is how much work costs this move to full app from lite app ? Isn't it better to start with full app ? If you are familiar with VC web or web socket architecture that use routing then non need to use lite. Does take time to move to a full app from a lite so depending on the size of project I usually skip the lite stage.
2.) Mojolicious has its own built in server called "hypnotoad" how different is this server in comparison with nginx ? What are the advantages and disadvantages ? The only big advantage for me was on the fly release so ne need to reboot the server with 'hypnotoad' but there may be more.
3.) Does mojolicious has its own utilities to work with MySQL DB ? I didn't find this in doc. There are a number of plugins that work with it.
4.)I've heard that perl 6 production ready implementation is coming, how it is going to influence mojolicious ?
It will be ready by Christmas ;)