Wishlist thread (fourth edition)
sri
2016-06-11 19:12:28 UTC
Hey everyone, it's that time of the year again! :)

In this thread you can post changes or features you would like to see in
Mojolicious, no rules, just say what's on your mind.

P.S.: You're welcome to take a look at previous threads
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ) to
get an idea for what has already been discussed before.

--
sebastian
darutoko
sri
2016-06-11 19:39:20 UTC
Post by darutoko
JADE-like template engine FTW!!!!
Think a lot of the Mojo::Template code could be reused for this, but it
would still be a bigger project.

--
sebastian
Matija Papec
2016-06-13 05:43:02 UTC
I'm not sure if some module already covers this, but directly passing
messages/events between all worker forks would be nice to gather various
information.
Also non-blocking rw file access for obvious reasons if it is possible.

regards
Matija Papec
sri
2016-06-13 14:02:14 UTC
Post by Matija Papec
I'm not sure if some module already covers this, but directly passing
messages/events between all worker forks would be nice to gather various
information.
Mojo::Pg already covers this with pub/sub.

https://github.com/kraih/mojo-pg/blob/master/examples/chat.pl
Post by Matija Papec
Also non-blocking rw file access for obvious reasons if it is possible.
File I/O is always blocking, you'd have to use a thread-pool for this. So
it's definitely not something for Mojolicious core, but it shouldn't be too
hard to build a CPAN module that connects Mojo::IOLoop with IO::AIO.

--
sebastian
Matija Papec
Henk van Tijen ||
2016-06-13 12:07:08 UTC
A plugin that makes it a breeze to add OTP-based two-factor Authentication.
(or even better, user choice OTP or code sent by email)

~henk
Pavel K
2016-06-14 05:55:41 UTC
What about validation on json params?
my $params = $s->req->json;

like this:
my $validation = $s->validation;
$validation->output;

:)
sri
2016-06-14 10:41:15 UTC
Post by Pavel K
What about validation on json params?
This has come up a few times before, but the problem is that we don't know
how to get the validator to validate nested data structures.

--
sebastian
'Dominique Dumont' via Mojolicious
2016-06-14 11:15:25 UTC
Post by sri
This has come up a few times before, but the problem is that we don't know
how to get the validator to validate nested data structures.
How about JSON::Schema or Config::Model to handle the validation ?

All the best
--
https://github.com/dod38fr/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/ -o- irc: dod at irc.debian.org
sri
2016-06-14 11:23:42 UTC
Post by 'Dominique Dumont' via Mojolicious
How about JSON::Schema or Config::Model to handle the validation ?
Then it can just as well be a 3rd party plugin.

--
sebastian
Jan Henning Thorsen
2016-06-24 06:59:12 UTC
When it comes to JSON validation, I would like to mention...

- https://metacpan.org/pod/JSON::Validator - Much more up to date than
JSON::Schema
- https://metacpan.org/release/Swagger2 - Framework for building REST APIs
- https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojolicious::Plugin::OpenAPI - Going to be
successor of M::P::Swagger2

Please join #swagger on irc.perl.org for questions or feedback.
Luc Didry
2016-06-14 09:43:04 UTC
Post by sri
Hey everyone, it's that time of the year again! :)
In this thread you can post changes or features you would like to see in
Mojolicious, no rules, just say what's on your mind.
P.S.: You're welcome to take a look at previous threads
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ) to
get an idea for what has already been discussed before.
What about an option in Mojolicious::Plugin::Config that would allow to
write the current configuration option in the file?
(we would use pubsub to advertise workers that the configuration has changed)

Or have the possibility to have multiple configuration files? This way,
we could override the default configuration file by writing in the
second file the way we want, without need for the plugin to handle the
write thing.
--
Luc
http://www.fiat-tux.fr/
sri
2016-06-14 10:42:01 UTC
Post by Luc Didry
Or have the possibility to have multiple configuration files? This way,
we could override the default configuration file by writing in the
second file the way we want, without need for the plugin to handle the
write thing.
This should already be possible.

--
sebastian
Luc Didry
2016-06-14 12:32:00 UTC
Post by sri
This should already be possible.
Cool!

How? By adding a second call to the Config plugin?
Alexey Stavrov
sri
2016-06-14 10:43:13 UTC
Post by Alexey Stavrov
May be a good idea to add ability to set password for encrypted private
key in Mojo::IOLoop::Client and appropriate property in Mojo::UserAgent?
Yes, this is a good idea, and i think there's a good chance that a patch
for this would be accepted. It would just have to be consistent between
Mojo::UserAgent and Mojo::Server::Daemon.

--
sebastian
'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
2016-06-14 10:39:46 UTC
1. JSON validation would be nice.
2. Some helpers for streaming JSON to simplify render large JSON without
creating whole object in memory. (now this possible (ex.
http://pastie.org/10875893), but it is not convenient)
3. "resolv" event in Mojo::IOLoop::Client, after resolving domains.
4. Make easy log rotation in prefork servers. For example passthrough some
signals (like USR1) from manager to each worker, that the workers can
reopen log files. Or may be add new event "reopen" to Mojo::Log.
sri
2016-06-14 10:48:08 UTC
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
1. JSON validation would be nice.
Yes, this has come up before, but we don't know how to get the validator to
validate nested data structures.
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
2. Some helpers for streaming JSON to simplify render large JSON without
creating whole object in memory. (now this possible (ex.
http://pastie.org/10875893), but it is not convenient)
I don't think it is possible to make this easier in Mojo::JSON without also
making a lot of sacrifices.
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
3. "resolv" event in Mojo::IOLoop::Client, after resolving domains.
Are there use cases for this? Especially considering that Net::DNS::Native
is optional?
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
4. Make easy log rotation in prefork servers. For example passthrough some
signals (like USR1) from manager to each worker, that the workers can
reopen log files. Or may be add new event "reopen" to Mojo::Log.
This has come up before too, and we were close to adding the feature, but
then nobody sent a pull request...

2016-06-14 11:06:07 UTC
Post by sri
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
3. "resolv" event in Mojo::IOLoop::Client, after resolving domains.
Are there use cases for this? Especially considering that Net::DNS::Native
is optional?
​Use cases is a detailed timing stats​ for requests in Mojo::UserAgent (
https://github.com/kraih/mojo/issues/939). So far, I don't see a problem
with blocking resolver and new event.
--
Andrey Khozov
Tobias Oetiker
2016-06-14 11:57:11 UTC
Post by sri
Post by 'Andrey Khozov' via Mojolicious
1. JSON validation would be nice.
Yes, this has come up before, but we don't know how to get the validator to
validate nested data structures.
I use this in many of my projects ...

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Processor/

cheers
tobi
www.oetiker.ch ***@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902
sri
2016-06-14 12:15:46 UTC
Post by sri
validate nested data structures.
I use this in many of my projects ...
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Processor/
Guess i should have been more specific. We are not looking for a 3rd party
module to use, that might just as well be used in a 3rd party Mojolicious
plugin.
If JSON validation became a Mojolicious core feature, it would have to be
integrated into Mojolicious::Validator, which currently only knows how to
validate a flat hash containing strings or arrays of strings, but not
nested data structures.

--
sebastian
Tobias Oetiker
2016-06-14 12:32:37 UTC
Post by sri
Post by sri
validate nested data structures.
I use this in many of my projects ...
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Processor/
Guess i should have been more specific. We are not looking for a 3rd party
module to use, that might just as well be used in a 3rd party Mojolicious
plugin.
If JSON validation became a Mojolicious core feature, it would have to be
integrated into Mojolicious::Validator, which currently only knows how to
validate a flat hash containing strings or arrays of strings, but not
nested data structures.
ah, I was not suggesting to use this module directly, but it
contains a nice method for defining validators that work with any
data structure you like ... you would certainly want to implement
this in a completely different and much more clever way anyway :)

Luc Didry
2016-06-14 22:36:32 UTC
Post by sri
Hey everyone, it's that time of the year again! :)
In this thread you can post changes or features you would like to see in
Mojolicious, no rules, just say what's on your mind.
P.S.: You're welcome to take a look at previous threads
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ) to
get an idea for what has already been discussed before.
Not pure Mojolicious wish, but could it be possible to have Minion
reloading itself if files changed in development mode? Just like morbo.
sri
2016-06-15 00:14:13 UTC
Post by Luc Didry
Not pure Mojolicious wish, but could it be possible to have Minion
reloading itself if files changed in development mode? Just like morbo.
Wishes for spin-off projects are fine too. Making Minion development more
fun is something i wanted to do for a long time, but sadly won't be able to
until i find new sponsors.
Pull requests would be welcome too, although i'm not sure yet what the best
way to implement this might be.

--
sebastian
sri
2016-06-15 00:18:38 UTC
Making Minion development more fun is something i wanted to do for a long
time, but sadly won't be able to until i find new sponsors.
There's actually a huge backlog already.

https://github.com/kraih/minion/issues

--
sebastian
Luc Didry
2016-06-15 19:18:42 UTC
Post by sri
Hey everyone, it's that time of the year again!
In this thread you can post changes or features you would like to see in
Mojolicious, no rules, just say what's on your mind.
P.S.: You're welcome to take a look at previous threads
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ) to
get an idea for what has already been discussed before.
Would it be possible to tweak the headers for static files?

Adding Expires and Cache-Control headers could be really useful.
sri
2016-06-15 19:41:30 UTC
Post by Luc Didry
Would it be possible to tweak the headers for static files?
Adding Expires and Cache-Control headers could be really useful.
Sure, if there's a well thought out proposal.

--
sebastian
Luc Didry
2016-06-15 20:18:11 UTC
Post by sri
Post by Luc Didry
Would it be possible to tweak the headers for static files?
Adding Expires and Cache-Control headers could be really useful.
Sure, if there's a well thought out proposal.
Well, I was thinking about something like that:

$static->headers->{Expires} = 'Fri, 08 Jul 2016 19:54:46 GMT';

Or

my $headers = Mojo::Headers->new();
$headers->add('Expires' => 'Fri, 08 Jul 2016 19:54:46 GMT');
$static->headers($headers);

I had a look at the code of Mojolicious::Static, it does not seem too
hard to do, I could even try to submit a patch if the idea is OK :-)
Luc Didry
2016-06-15 21:02:18 UTC
Post by Luc Didry
$static->headers->{Expires} = 'Fri, 08 Jul 2016 19:54:46 GMT';
Or
my $headers = Mojo::Headers->new();
$headers->add('Expires' => 'Fri, 08 Jul 2016 19:54:46 GMT');
$static->headers($headers);
I had a look at the code of Mojolicious::Static, it does not seem too
hard to do, I could even try to submit a patch if the idea is OK
And… done[1]. You can see the patch at
https://github.com/ldidry/mojo/commit/0a2dfb096d4f4b3096f27ae10ee7eb5832b2ad99

Tell me if it's ok to you and I'll submit a pull request :-)

[1] I used the first solution, with the hash.
sri
2016-06-15 21:38:23 UTC
And
 done[1]. You can see the patch at
https://github.com/ldidry/mojo/commit/0a2dfb096d4f4b3096f27ae10ee7eb5832b2ad99
Tell me if it's ok to you and I'll submit a pull request :-)
Oh, i was expecting something a little more elaborate, with different
defaults for development and production mode, optimized for all the
browsers that are currently being used. This doesn't really add anything
the after_static hook can't do already.

--
sebastian
Luc Didry
2016-06-15 22:01:50 UTC
Post by sri
Oh, i was expecting something a little more elaborate, with different
defaults for development and production mode, optimized for all the
browsers that are currently being used. This doesn't really add anything
the after_static hook can't do already.
I see what you say with "different defaults for development and production mode"[1],
but I don't with "optimized for all the browsers".

Do you have an example?

[1] like:
$static->headers->production({'Expires' => 'Fri, 08 Jul 2016 19:54:46 GMT'})
$static->headers->development({})
Is that what you think of? I'm not really sure, since it can be done
with after_static hook too
Joel Berger
2016-06-16 15:11:24 UTC
I imagine you would want some easy way to set a cache duration, probably
even a default cache duration, and have that then be translated into a time
automatically on render/reply. The development specific behavior would
likely then be to disable caching during development (when in development
mode) so that you see the results of modifications quickly.
Luc Didry
2016-06-16 17:56:22 UTC
Post by Joel Berger
I imagine you would want some easy way to set a cache duration, probably
even a default cache duration, and have that then be translated into a time
automatically on render/reply. The development specific behavior would
likely then be to disable caching during development (when in development
mode) so that you see the results of modifications quickly.
Shouldn't be difficult.

Should this discussion continue in a separate thread or even in an issue on Github?
sri
2016-06-16 18:52:41 UTC
Post by Luc Didry
Should this discussion continue in a separate thread or even in an issue on Github?
Separate thread sounds good, i'm also getting the feeling that there's a
lot to experiment with in 3rd party CPAN plugins here, before we start
thinking about adding new core features.

--
sebastian
Alexey Stavrov
2016-06-17 20:57:12 UTC
Add ability to get client certificate chain (may be via
`$c->tx->req->cert`) to validate it (for example, to verify that the
certificate was issued by my CA, or any others that I trust)
sri
2016-06-21 23:43:23 UTC
We have started preparations for the Mojolicious 7.0 release, so now would
be the perfect time to propose breaking changes!

--
sebastian
Pavel K
2016-06-22 04:35:26 UTC
What do you think about default router like "otherwise" in angularjs?
sri
2016-06-22 12:31:29 UTC
Post by Pavel K
What do you think about default router like "otherwise" in angularjs?
Already possible.

--
sebastian
Alexey Stavrov
2016-06-22 10:23:55 UTC
Mojolicious have ability to set certificate and verify clients when CA is
set and verify clients when no CA by setting it to \undef which looks
strange and not documented.
But no ability to authenticate (get email from CN param for example) users
by their certificates, because it is not possible to access any information
about the client's certificate in controller (may be i don't know
something?).
So, will be good if programmer could get info about client's certificate
and obtain information on the validity of the certificate from controller.

Sorry for bad english.
sri
2016-06-22 12:32:04 UTC
Post by Alexey Stavrov
But no ability to authenticate (get email from CN param for example) users
by their certificates, because it is not possible to access any information
about the client's certificate in controller (may be i don't know
something?).
So, will be good if programmer could get info about client's certificate
and obtain information on the validity of the certificate from controller.
Also already possible.

--
sebastian
2016-07-11 08:49:02 UTC
Hi,

A functionality we would like to see, is the ability to always apply a
filter when a specific validator check is called.

As a simple example, if you have a generic "integer" check, it makes sense
(as a usability feature) to always trim the input before verifying that it
only contains numbers.

You can sort of do this now, by modifying the output in the validation
object from within the check function. But if you also want to support more
than one value for the same parameter, you basically need to validate all
the values in each call to the check function.

The alternative, always having to write:

$v->required('param', 'trim')->integer();

has turned out to be error prone for us ;-)

/Klaus
Brian Manning
2016-06-22 14:30:39 UTC
Aliases for has/attr attribute names?

Maybe something like:

$obj->attr('message', alias => [ qw(m msg) ]);
jamadam
2016-07-05 14:42:52 UTC
Hi.

Since couple commits ago application tests with Test::Mojo got little bit
more complex.

<h1>
Mojolicious
</h1>

$ua->get_ok(...)->text_is('h1', 'Mojolicious');

# got: '
# Mojolicious
# '
# expected: 'Mojolicious'

Isn't it a good idea to provide a test method which performs trim and
compare at once?
It also makes upgrading to v7.0 easier.

$ua->get_ok(...)->text_resemble('h1', 'Mojolicious');

package Test::Mojo

sub text_resemble {
my ($self, $selector, $value, $desc) = @_;
$desc ||= encode 'UTF-8', qq{exact match for selector "$selector"};
return $self->_test('is', trim($self->_text($selector)), $value, $desc);
}

Thank you.
sri
2016-07-05 15:05:33 UTC
Post by jamadam
Isn't it a good idea to provide a test method which performs trim and
compare at once?
It also makes upgrading to v7.0 easier.
You might want to take a look at the IRC discussion that happened around
the same time. It's not that we don't want to suport text rendering, it's
that we have been unable to figure out the correct rules. The topic is *a
lot* more complicated than it seems.

--
sebastian
Keita Sugama
Christopher Causer
2016-07-10 21:08:43 UTC
Yes, I know this would be possible outside of core as a separate module,
but I thought I'd ask :)

If there were a Mojo::Template equivalent of tpage and (particularly)
ttree, I'd be very, very happy.

http://template-toolkit.org/docs/tools/tpage.html
http://template-toolkit.org/docs/tools/ttree.html
Dotan Dimet
2016-07-11 16:01:42 UTC
<head>
</head>
bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
Mojolicious has plugins and commands, but there are a few other
tools in the toolkit that could do with <br>
more flexible extensibility, specifically the User Agent and
Test::Mojo.<br>
Extending these requires subclassing or wrapping, which prevents
different extensions from interoperating easily - Joel's
Test::Mojo::WithRoles wraps Test::Mojo for easier extending, but
extending the Mojo tools with easy interoperability should really
be possible without everyone standardizing on a third-party
solution.<br>
I can think of other classes it would be fun to extend with roles
- for example, adding a links() method to Mojo::Message::Response
or other shortcuts to repetitive DOM-grovelling.<br>
- Dotan<br>
Regarding the User Agent, <br>
On 11/06/16 22:12, sri wrote:<br>
cite="mid:a03ed20e-ee81-4d44-b1b3-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
like to see in Mojolicious, no rules, just say what's on your
mind.<br>
(<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ">https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mojolicious/hZu18SdEmbc/pEzv8diuA-gJ</a>)
to get an idea for what has already been discussed before.</div>
-- <br>
Groups "Mojolicious" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:mojolicious+***@googlegroups.com">mojolicious+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious">https://groups.google.com/group/mojolicious</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Mojolicious&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:mojolicious+***@googlegroups.com">mojolicious+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Matija Papec
2016-08-05 21:05:43 UTC
Support for SSL_fingerprint and SSL_verify_callback options would be really
nice for:
https://metacpan.org/source/SRI/Mojolicious-7.0/lib/Mojo/IOLoop/Client.pm#L171